Sunday, April 13, 2014

A few quiet days Chapter 23

    The next morning I woke because something was irritating my nose and when I swatted at it, I realized my hand was laying on a hairy chest and I was hearing a heartbeat in my ear, along with the soft sound of breathing. Taking stock of the rest of me, was it didn't take long to know I was draped around a male body. When hair again tickled my nose, I opened my eye's and looked, the end of my  braid was being used to sweep back and forth across my nose. When I tensed, I felt as much as heard the chuckle that rumbled through his chest.
    "Oh don't be like that, you didn't take advantage of me last night." was Marcurio's odd way of reassuring me that nothing had happened, nor would it. "You woke up screaming and we talked your nightmare out and you fell back to sleep. But I might get idea's if you keep wiggling around like that, besides I can't get out of bed until you get off me." With that I jumped out of the bed, taking the blanket with me, wrapping up in it as I went. I looked back over my shoulder to find Marcurio had sat up and turned to the other side of the bed. As he stood up to get dressed, I saw the pant's that he had been wearing, I shook my head and grinned and whistled at him adding "Nice ass", then turned to go, an apple went zinging by and I heard Rayya in the other room, "Watch it, their are other people around here you know".
     I went down and rinsed off in the bathing pool, keeping my hair dry as I had washed that last night. Rayya came down the step's and left some clothing for me and I thanked her. I walked back up the stairs and found Marcurio eating breakfast, I sat down across from him and asked what he had planned for the day. He said his plan's were to lazy around the house and maybe go to the lake and catch a couple fish, if they happened to bite.
     I nodded and told him I planned on checking out what I had in the way of smithing supplies to figure out what I might make. Then either start on the new armor or head to Whiterun and buy what I might need.
   "I was thinking about one of the robe's that I liked that we looted out of the Castle, could you look at it and see if you can add some armor value to it?", before I could answer he had gotten up and walked up stairs to the room he was using. When he came back down it was with one of the cloth and leather style armor's that the vampires used. I laid it out on the table next to where we were eating and looked at it thought about the different pieces.
   As I munched on an apple tart, I thought about the leather part's, I really didn't like the way it was put together. "Yeah I can do this, it won't look exactly the same and how about black and grey with some red toggles to secure the wrap over part? perhap's add some red metal pauldrons? Boot's with red metal part's and a belt for your pouch with some red metal on it. How does all that sound?"
    Marcurio shrugged and said as long as it looked at least semi-elegant he would be happy. He was tired of looking like a drab soldier instead of an extravagant wizard. Oh he did want a back sheath for Dawnbreaker,  he decided that instead of learning a two handed weapon, learning the one he already had, that did extra damage to the vampire's he was already fighting, sounded like a much better idea anyway.
   So I spent the next two day's working with cloth, leather and metal. Coating the metal with some mineral's and then firing it in the smelter to get the red look that I wanted. By the time I showed the armored robe to Marcurio I had a good idea what I wanted to make for my own armor. He tried it on and then gave me a huge hug, telling me he loved it. He stood their while Rayya and I really looked the robe's over, Rayya said she saw no flaw's in what I had made, but did give a couple suggestion's if I made another set. Once she had pointed thing's out I could see the merit of what she was saying. It gave me some additional Idea's which I wrote down and made a quick sketch of. I would make him another set, but in different tone's of blue.
    I will admit I found many other thing's to do besides create my own armor, for some reason over the year's I have become much better a creating light armor, even though I much prefer to wear heavy. So deciding what I wanted to make for myself was harder than coming up with Marcurio's. I have always preferred to hide what gender I am behind the bulkiness of heavy, Steel, Ebony and Dwemer. Dwemer was completely out, even though I have a fun set, so would only have to fit it to me, but I hated how gaudy it looked. Having looked through my store's I know I don't have enough ebony for a full set. Steel always comes out a bit to shiny for me.
   Then it hit me, I had seen an a hybrid armor, year's ago on Solstheim, well maybe 60 or 70 years ago. I still had the notes, so I went and asked Marcurio if he had my journal's brought here. He had, but they weren't with the other book's, they were in the table beside the bed. I thanked him and then went to look through them.
   Sure enough, the pattern and quantities of each metal were written down. Under the picture of the helmet was a note stating that I hadn't really liked the look's, so I gave the sketch a closer look and decided I still didn't like it all that much. I wrote out the quantities for each piece and added it up into a whole, I would have enough for a full set, helm included should I choose. I flipped a couple pages and found a sketch of the Nordic Broadsword and decided it might be time I retired Kruziik Dilon, he was old enough that soon I would have problem's with metal fatigue just sharpening and taking the nick's out of him. He had served me faithfully for close to two hundred years.
    I stopped frozen for a moment and realized that, if I had carried Kruziik for that long, I had been without my beloved Bjorn for almost that long. I burst out laughing, how many lover's have I had since then, the answer was sad, none. Orin had hinted, for that matter so had the Bard I sent after my Aunt, that damn Orc fifty year's ago hadn't wanted to take no for an answer, til I bested him in a brawl. Twenty year's ago the Thalmor Legate  had more than hinted, he'd tried black-mail. He really should have known better, I wonder if anyone ever found his body, maybe bear's or wolves. Well my Aunt always had said I was a subtle as a heard of Mammoths.
     I went down to the cellar and gathered up all of the ingot's I would need to make the pieces of armor and sword that I wanted to create. I gathered up all the various metal ingot's, fur and leather pieces I would need and then carefully counted them out by armor piece and weapon. I had enough for everything, with a couple ingot's left over to temper it all. I took it all upstairs and out side to the smelter and got all the metal's ready to form into the various pieces.
    Because it was late afternoon, I decided to just fold the various metal's together and call it a day. A swim in the lake sounded good, after being near the smelter and hammering on hot metal. I gathered up some clean clothing and walked down to the river. I didn't see Marcurio anywhere, but that didn't mean a thing, as it is a big lake and the best fishing was a little ways up on the other side of a outcropping of boulders.
   I tucked a dagger into the loop I made in my swim pant's and paddled out into the lake. I found a spot where I could sit and lean back against a rock and watched the cloud's go by. I let my mind drift and tried not to think of anything.
   The sun was very low in the sky when I felt a nudge on my leg and saw a couple small fish swimming around it like children playing tag. I felt a tug in my heart, I had always loved children. Bjorn and I had talked about it once, but didn't think  an interracial child would be a good idea at that time. We had enough trouble with just our relationship, people hadn't liked our being together. Well his people looked at  us funny, my people, well their were rumor's that sometime in the past any child with a defect was put to death. The Thalmor upper echelon weren't known for their kindness.
   "You planning on turning into a fish?!" shouted from the shore from Marcurio broke me out of my thought's. I stood up and waved at him and then paddled back to shore. He held out the large drying cloth I had brought and I wrapped my self up in it and we walked back to the house.
    "Marcurio, have you ever thought about getting married and having children?"
    "For a proposal that is sort of lacking you know, I would have expected candles and wine, at the very least." He said in a laughing tone.
    I rolled my eyes and said, " Not me you moron, some lovely little Nord. "
     " I had thought about it, but as a vampire hunter, I never thought it was a good idea. Yes, I know I didn't have to follow you. I could have found someone else to teach me some of the spell's not generally taught at the college."  We went up the step's to the balcony that over looked the lake side of the property.
    " You know I talked to Isran?" when he nodded I continued, " He and the other's will continue to fight the vampires that remain. Most of them are not as organized as Lord Harkon was anyway, so he doesn't expect as much of a problem. So I told him I wanted to take care of some other things, personal things, but if he needed us, just send word. I know I spoke for you also, but I figured you would feel the same. Therefore you can get married and have some children. And before you say anything, this IS your house also. When you became steward, you took responsibility for it." He looked a little rebelious and then said,
   "What about your going to find out about this "dragonborn" thing, were you planning on going alone?"
   " No, Marcurio. Remember I made you some armor? I kind of figured that if what everyone says is true, then they will have to instruct me on how to be a dragonborn. If I remember some things I have read in the past, It may take year's, even decades for me to learn everything I need to know. If not, I had planned on you going with me. Thing is Marcurio, at some point or the other you need to have a family. I don't plan on staying in Skyrim for more than another twenty or thirty year's, I don't wish to actually see my friends grow old and die. I know as a mage you will live longer than some, but I have another seven or eight hundred year's before I am old."
    He looked at me and nodded.
  " I do understand, that's why you stash gem's and money around. You know in the future you can come and get them. You keep tract of all your friends children and grandchildren, that's what I am. You looked in on me, seen my potential as a wizard and found me a teacher in the Imperial City. `I looked you up to thank you for changing my life and found another teacher and a friend. You don't want to see me grow old and die in front of you. You live through all your friends children, they are forever young in your mind."
   I nodded at him, he did understand parts, but the whole would be very hard for anyone whose lifespan was as short as most humans. I gestured for us to go inside, so I could put some cloths on, the sun had set and it was rather chilly. As we got to my room he started talking again.
   "You watched Bjorn grow old and die, didn't  you?" At my nod he kept talking, "That is another reason, you try not to get to attached to people, but you keep hanging around people that you know are short lived. I some of the reason's that you like the Nord's so much, they are a very nice people, who tend to live in their here and now. I know you loved Bjorn completely and how much you miss him, but unless he isn't the man that you discribed to me, he would want you to find someone else to love. His advice would probably be the same as mine, find an Altmer you can love, not like you don't have a couple hundred years to do so."
   I opened my mouth to repute everything he said, then I realized just how right he was and I nodded and told him I would think about what he said and have a good night.
   Over the next four day's I made  my armor and a new sword. I thought alot about the thing's that Marcurio had said and knowing my Aunt was coming, I decided on some thing's. Marcurio and I would head up to High Hrothgar in a couple days. I wanted to look around the area here first and get used to the new armor and sword. I knew their would be bandit's in plenty to hunt down, so I figured to head to Falkreath  and ask the Steward if any job's had been posted.
   That's just what I did, but instead of bandit's, I ended up tracking down a Dragon. When I found him, I tried to talk to him. I even called Durnehviir, to try and talk some sense into the creature, but he wouldn't have it at all and continued to attack, Durnehviir and I finished the poor creature off.
   I asked Durnehviir to land, usually I didn't, as I knew he just wanted to fly the sky's over Tamriel for as long as he could, which was never more than an hour. Once he landed and we greeted each other, I aske him about what the dragon at the watch tower and Jarl Balgruuf  had said about my being Dragonborn. He looked at me rather oddly and asked had I not known? When I said that no I had no clue, I heard a chuckle in his tone.
   He said that I AM Dragonborn, I have the soul of a dragon, but a mortal body. Had I not heard the dragon's speaking my whole life? He nodded when he saw the light of understanding in my eye's. I had not understood what was being said, but yes  I had heard the dragon's, once I told him that. He like the other's suggested that I go and talk to the Greybeards, but I shouldn't take everything they say at face value, as they where hiding secret's of their own. He started fading out, so I said good bye until the next battle. He seemed to get energy from battles and stayed here longer, if the battle was a lengthy one.
  I walked back to Falkreath and showed the steward the scales and bones I had collected as prof. that the dragon was dead. The Jarl had wanted me to bring the dragon's head to his Longhouse so he could have it mounted on the wall, but I told him that it would be to heavy for me to carry. So I showed the Steward exactly where the dragon was on her map and she would send a couple guards and a cart after it.
   I then went to talk to Lod about my new armor. He said he liked the looks of it, but if I wanted his honest opinion on how well it would do in a prolonged fight and over time. I would have to take it off so he could get a good look at it from the inside out, but would start with the sword. So I handed him the sword and started taking off the armor, gauntlet's and boot's first, then the Cuirass and then greaves.
   I stood their in just my gambeson and felt the chill, Falkreath rarely being sunny and usually damp. Lod was still looking at the Sword and remarking telling me I did a really good job with it. I moved closer to the forge for the warmth coming off the fire. Lod put the sword on the work bench then picked up one of the gauntlet's, pulling the lacing from it so that he could look at the inside. He did the same with each and every piece, putting them back together when he was done looking at that particular piece. His wife had come out a little earlier and tried asking him what he wanted for lunchen, getting no answer she said she would be back with something for the two of us.
   When he finished and put the last piece down, He picked up his mug of mulled wine and then told me I had done a very good job on the sword, everything looked very good. The armor on the other had looked like a very professional job from the inside, but the bright-work on all the pieces look more crude, as if an apprentice had done the work.
   I finished chewing the stew I was eating and told him that was really on purpose, as most people were going to judge the armor from the outside only. He laughed and said if anyone was stupid enough to judge the skill of a warrior on their armor, they deserved to die. I nodded at him and said a real warrior wouldn't, but some people were just plain stupid. I'd seen the son's of very rich people parading around in Deadric armor, because they could afford it, but the sword was more a decoration than a tool for them. He shook his head, but agreed with me.
    As he helped me back into the armor, he said that with proper care the armor should last me a hundred years or so. I thanked him and told him to thank his wife for the lunch, it was very good. I told him to have a good night and then walked off the pourch. Looking up at where the sun was, I decided I could make it home before it was to dark.
    So I headed out of Falkreath and towards the house. Right after I passed the "hidden" Dark Brotherhood sanctuary, I passed one of their member's on the road. One of these day's I really should leave a note on their doorway, letting them know if they wanted their hide out secret, they should have the members returning from job's dress in something other than their assassin's gear. I didn't always "see" their people, but I always knew they were their. I smirked at the one I passed and said hello, she jumped as if startled and I shook my head.
   Up the road a little ways and when the sun was low in the sky behind me, I saw three people coming up the road. I lowered my hood a little and because the sun was behind me, I knew they couldn't see my face. As they drew near, I cursed under my breath, because not only was it a Thalmor patrol, but I knew the Justicular. I stayed at my easy pace on the opposite side of the road and tried to stay as relaxed as I had been before I saw them. As I drew abreast of them, I almost sighed in relief, but it would have been short lived.
     "Citizen, might we bother you for direction's to a Manor house in the area." The Justicular asked. Keeping my head at an angle that the hood would cover my face and trying to pitch my voice slightly lower, I replied.
    "Which manor house?" I had stopped so that technically I was facing them.
   "Lakeview Manor". he said, walking across the road and stopping within ten feet of me. " That's would be your home wouldn't it Zyne?"
    " It would be Caraveral and just what is it that you want with me", I said, hoping to stall just a little.
    " I would like to say that I was sent to arrest you for your treasonous crimes, but the truth is, someone put out a death warrant instead" He sounded quiet smug about that, but then again, my Aunt and Uncle had humiliated his family. I put my hands on my hips and shrugged.
   " So what, you volunteered to come and execute me?" He smiled and walked just a little closer. Inwardly I was happy, about that. Come, come a little closer. "Never got over looking like a fool huh.?" He took the last two step's, right as one of the other Thalmor agent's started to caution him about it. As he got within arm's reach he started casting a spell, but I was quicker drawing the dagger from  behind my back, from it's horizontal sheath. A dagger with a  strong paralyzing enchantment and coated with a very potent poison. I put the dagger strait through his heart and whispered in his ear, " you shouldn't have made the girl's cry", before he died.
   As I pushed him away, I cast a ward spell and started to throw a firebolt spell, but I need not have bothered as the two agent's toppled over from arrow's from bow's held in the hand's of some Stormcloak soldiers that had been hiding in the bushes.
   The leader of the group saluted me as they went by. I bent down and pulled the dagger out of the Justicular's heart. The last soldier in line handed me an arrow and then smiled. As it was dark by then, so I'm not sure if they realized I am also an Altmer, but then again it might not have bothered them in the least.
   I got back to the Manor, just as the moon's started to rise. Marcurio and Rayya were sitting down to dinner, I joined them as soon as I washed up a bit and changed clothing. We chatted about this and that and Marcurio asked how soon we would be leaving for High Hrothgar. I told them that the day after tomorrow, we would be going and I planned on making some journey ration's the next day.
   I got up and told them both to have a very good night and then I went to bed, determined to have a good and full nights sleep.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment