Friday, March 21, 2014

Future Shadows, Past Lives chapter 16

        I laid out on the seat as Serana and I were the only passengers on this trip. With my pack as a pillow and my hood pulled over my face. I was soon in that misty realm between waking and sleeping. I had told the driver that we wanted out at Dragon Bridge, if he wanted to continue on he could, but please do stop.
        In this state it was easier to understand what the dragon's conversations were about, most of it was non-sense about territories and not being greedy about their hord. It didn't take long to realize some of them thought Man, Mer and Beast race were food though. That would put those particular dragons on level with vampires and they would have to be put down.  They were happy that Alduin had resurrected them and some were more than happy to follow him. Others seem's to be cautious because they had heard about a Dragonborn that had already killed a few of them. She had a Dragon that she summoned to follow her already. I forced myself to calmness when I realized they were talking about Durnehviir and myself.  It seemed some were very afraid and other's felt that the dragon's I had killed were wimp's. Well that's not the word's they used, but the meaning was pretty clear.
        Then the topic switched again, they had heard the call of a couple of the Dragon Priests, but the call's had all been from underground. The consensus their was that those Priest should have built up a following, not just have draugr, to help them. Then like a whisper, I heard the name passed back and forth, with terror, Miraak. If other Dragon Priest's were waking, surely he would be coming also... he already had...no he was still in another realm... dragon's disappeared...
        In the silence that followed, I decided to tune out the dragon's gossip, they really were worse than a bunch of fishwives.  I had run into a couple Dragon Priests over the years, they had all been pretty formidable, but from the dragons I had fought, so were they. For dragon's to be that terrified, even for just one, that spoke volumes about Miraak.
       But I had another problem Harkon, Serana's father. I had no doubts about his demise, Isran was a fanatic, but he was a smart fanatic. I wasn't exactly a helpless, I laughed inside at a thought. Hrongar had made a quip about hiring an assassin to take him out. Once the contract was signed, surely the Night Mother would help the assassin who was assigned to it. Two creatures of the night fighting it out, when he had made the comment I had giggled like a small girl, giggles that had turned into laughter so zealous that tears ran down my face and I fell out of the chair, though I blamed that on the mead.  I do so love the Nord people, they are so very unrestrained in thought's and deeds.
      The change in sound of the horses hooves on stone had me sitting up and looking around. We were on the Dragon Bridge. The driver stopped infront of the Inn and told us if we needed the return trip, he would be coming back through here tomorrow morning around 9am. I thanked him and said if we finished our business before then we would be waiting for him, but he shouldn't wait for us, not that I thought he would anyway.
      I looked around and noticed the banner on the building opposite the Inn, seeing two soldiers walk in the building and a couple more walk out. None wearing officers uniforms. So probably six to eight  soldiers plus at least one officer. So the private guards of the Emperor, could only mean a visit was in the offing from the Emperor or his near and dear. I shook my head and shrugged, none of my business.
    I turned and walked back by the mill as the easiest way to the cave the Elder Scroll had showed me was in this direction. Before crossing the water I closed my eyes and tried to visualize the route we would need to take. I stumbled forward into the waist deep water and crossed over to the other side. I had gotten the impression  of a long dark cave system, maybe I wouldn't want to return to Blackreach, I heaved a great sigh, and continued on.
    A Spriggan stepped out of her tree as we passed and decided we didn't need to be their, so sent her nearest allies after us, a cave bear, then a pair of wovles. I pulled out Kruziik and proceeded to hack her into kindling. I felt rather bad about it, as generally they allowed peaceful creatures to pass. I killed the cave bear and Serana took care of both wolves, with the help of all things an Elk that she resurrected. I shook my head at Serana's choice of creature to thrall, next it would be a rabbit or chicken. I turned and walked away from the dead beasts, hoping that their was some carrion creature nearby that could eat the remains. That bear alone could feed a small family half the winter, I hated the waste. I wasn't really partial to wolf meat myself, but some hunters I knew swore by it.
      We got to the entrance of Darkfall cave right as the sunset over the mountains and I asked Serana if she was rested enough to go ahead or would she prefer to sleep at least part of the night. She replied she was rested enough and besides, nighttime was the best time for her to travel, even through a cave.
      The cave system seemed rather strait forward and at first we ran into nothing more dangerous than a couple skeevers. Then we found a dead body and searching around a note saying that she didn't think the troll's were all that friendly. Really, she expected wild trolls to be friendly? Well I guess that's one kind of stupid that get's you killed young. I shook my head sadly and thought that maybe the Orc's had a good system after all. Only the strongest, smartest and bravest were chosen as husband's or wives, weeded out the weak and stupid for sure. It really did take all kinds to make a society.
      We soon ran into the cave troll's, who actually seemed stronger and meaner than other troll's I had run into. I half expected Serana to thrall the first troll we killed to help take care of the second troll, but she didn't. As soon as the second troll was dead, I cleaned up my sword and armor with a damp cloth and then ran an oiled cloth over the sword before sheathing her. I made sure all the blood was washed off my body and out of my hair. Deep cave's generally meant Falmer and while they might be blind, they could hear and they could smell even better. When Serana just stood their, I explained exactly why I was cleaning up. She hurriedly availed herself of my cleaning supplies and washed up. She had thought I was just being polite to her about being covered in blood, as I knew she hadn't fed in awhile.
     We headed up the cave system a little bit and started seeing what appeared to be ruins of one kind or the other. I stopped and looked at a pillar, it looked familiar, but at the same time very foreign. I had seen something very similar, but where, when, I could not remember. As we rounded a curve in the cave wall, I came to a complete stop and Serana readied a spell in each hand.
      I knew that symbol on top of the shrine, Auriel. It took me a minute to notice the mer standing their gazing at us. I heard Serana gasp as the mer called us forward. Serana let go of her spell's and I the hilt of my sword. I soon realized that the paleness of the Mer was not due to lack of sun, no it was a racial trait. "Snow Elf",I whispered,  I almost heard Serana's "but", though it never left her lip's, his people were thought extinct, except the Falmer, even before she was put in that crypt.
     "I am Knight-Paladin Gelebor, and I take it you are seaking Auriel's Bow?"

No comments:

Post a Comment