Tuesday, March 18, 2014

An Innocence Lost Chapter 14

     The rest of the trip to Riften was quiet, which was good for everyone. Macurio and I talked for awhile and he said he needed a break even if I didn't. He wanted a week or so, to relax, not have to worry about vampires, drink more than one ale and not worry about the hangover the next morning.
    I thought very quickly and asked if he would like to go and check up on my house in Falkreath Hold, take the carriage to Whiterun and perhaps ask that redhead if she wouldn't mind playing house for a little bit. While he was seeing if any repairs needed to be done and getting workmen from Whiterun, Riverwood or Falkreath to actually do the labor. He thought about that and said he would. I told him I had some gold and gems at Fort Dawnguard and also where one of my stashes were at the house.
   He didn't really want me to travel on by myself or to go on any of the job's Isran might have, but he really needed the break. When I told him I would take Serana with me, he didn't seem any happier. Explaining that if I didn't get her out of the Fort Isran might forget she was an asset and I had had dealings with worse creatures than one teen age vampire. She would actually need to get out and feed on something or that something might end up being Isran. He grimaced at that and I shrugged in return, she may or may not actually need to feed, but vampires weren't exactly known for having a lot of patience.
     I left all the loot we had with Marcurio to sell and headed off to Fort Dawnguard on my own. Only one lone wolf interrupted a nice evening walk in the Rift. I caste a calm spell in her and sent her back to her cub's. I got to thinking about that house, Marcurio wasn't the kind of man that would except the house as a gift, but perhap's if I made him the steward. Perhaps if I got the housecarl that I knew the Jarl would try and foist on me, he had tried once and I distracted him. Maybe adopt one or two of those orphans I had seen around the cities, with a nanny to care for them. I chuckled to myself, Marcurio had a very large sense of responsibility and would care for everyone in the household with determination. It would surprise him, he considered himself a playboy, but I knew, if he had been an Altmer, I would have put on a low cut dress and an amulet of Mara, to get his attention. Even though Mages tended to live longer than other humans, I just couldn't bring myself to get in any relationship beyond just friends with one, not again.
       Bjorn, from the day I met him, when he was a mere 25 til the day he died in my arms at the rip old age, for a Nord, of 72. Long lived for one of his race and profession, but short for one of mine. I felt the same pain in my heart thinking about that day as I did, when I felt him breathe his last breath, just not as intense. I looked up through the leaves and found the sun, very low on the horizon. I picked up my pace a little, and bit the inside of my lip and ran through all the wording for all the spells I knew. I needed to stop thinking of him, it would get me killed one day.
       Perhaps I needed a break also, when Serana's father was taken care of, yes I would take a break..... while planning an expedition back to Blackreach. It would take time to get letters written to all the right people and they might not be able to drop what they were doing right away.
     In the meantime, maybe I could set up a household. Since Marcurio was checking on the house and getting it in order, I'd see how he did their and if he did well, ask if he wanted the job permanently. Adopt some of those kids that seemed to need a home, I really had thought Nords were more caring of their children than to leave them running he streets. Housekeeper, I'd need a housekeeper, one that loved children. Maybe I could find a woman that had lost her husband and needed a job. As I walked up to the gate of the Fort, I figured maybe a Bard also, one with more knowledge than singing skill, I'd just tell him or her not to sing while I was their. Nord's didn't ever seem to notice that there Bard's were singing off key, could have something to do with all the mead and ale they drank. As I rounded one of the parapet bases, I noticed some tent's and people in farming cloths. Damn, Isran was leaving these people outside, of course they were safer outside here than inside at their own homesteads. But still there was more than enough room for all of them in one of the wings. The Fort probably still needed the cobwebs swept from the corners, Isran didn't care about those things.
    I entered the doors and the first thing I saw was Serana hovering nearby. Great now I really would have to take her out the next time. When I found the Moth Priest, I saw the cloth wrapped over his eyes, that wasn't good news. I walked up to him making sure that I scuffed the floor so he would know I was close, then I sat on the bench next to him. "I found the Elder Scroll Dexion, but I have the feeling you can't read it."
     He shook his head, but then told me all hope wasn't lost as he knew of a way I might be able to read them. I listened as he explained where I would need to go and exactly what I would need to do. I squeezed his arm and asked if their was a chance that he'd get his sight back, as he shook his head. I felt terrible, but he explained that it wasn't unexpected, he would always have a home in the Imperial city with the rest of Moth Priests their. That was a weight off my mind, but I would have found him a place where he felt useful.
       With both Serana and Isran hovering nearby, but on opposite sides, I chose Isran first. He just wanted an update and to tell me he might have a job for me. I replied that I already had a couple things I needed to do and they all had to deal with Serana's father, so they would come first. I brought up the farmer's outside and the fact that I thought they would make good with farming, with some of the ladies perhaps cleaning. One could only hope a couple of the men could make repairs that were desperately needed. By bringing them inside the walls at night, they would feel safer and might not mind doing some of the labor that no one else wanted to do.
       I turned around and walked away before he could come up with the reason's it wasn't a good idea, to find Serana a come up closer. " Marcurio had some business to tend to, so if you want you can come with me. I do want to make it clear, IF you can't hold your own and still watch my back, they way I will watch yours. I will send you packing right back here. We will leave about 3 am, so we can travel some by night". While she didn't look happy, she did look relieved to be getting out of the Fort.    
        The next morning before the sun came up we were in the carriage heading to Falkreath Hold, the nearest place to the Ancestor Glade that Dexion had told me about. We made our way to the glade, not even going into town from where we were dropped off at. Once inside I realized it was a very special place, the flora and fauna inside the cavern were amazing.
         I picked up the ritual knife and peeled some of the bark from the Canticle tree and applied the sap over part of my skin. I felt like a fool, but I walked around and soon noticed that Moths were swarming around me. After about the fourth group Serana said I began to glow, I couldn't see it. I walked around drawing more and more of the Ancestor Moths to me, about the point where I started wondering how many groups I would need, I suddenly knew I had enough.
         I could hear the Elder Scrolls, very distinct melodies from each of the Scroll's I carried on my back. If I didn't know better I would say they were talking to each other in a language that sounded like music to my ear's. I walked slowly back to the ritual stone that had held the Drawing knife and reached behind my back to grab one of the Scrolls. At the point where I almost had my hand on one scroll it seemed as if another moved itself under my hand, the way a puppy will to get attention first.
          I pulled that Elder Scroll around and untied the ribbon holding it. I opened it and words and symbols and music all played itself out in front of my eyes and in my head. I knew were Auriels Bow was, I knew exactly what Harkon would do with it if he got hold of it. I read all three Scroll's, I would say I don't know what came over me, but I do. All three of the scrolls wanted me to read them, because all three had somethings they wanted to say to me. When the last Scroll showed me Bjorn standing in front of a roaring fire drinking mead in a grand hall, I hit my knees. Beside Bjorn laughing up at him, was myself. Sovngarde, I had seen myself standing next to my Love in the Nord afterlife. Could an Elder Scroll lie?
           Serana broke into my thoughts by asking if I was okay, for a second I wondered as I couldn't see, but then my sight came back slowly. I told her I was fine, but joy and dread fill my step's as we started making our way out. I had seen so much, They had told me so much. I knew I would not die soon if fate had anything to do with it. I had much to do,  the voices I had heard my whole life now made sense, I understood them. I wish I didn't
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment